Dear “Stars Shine for Everyone” Supporter,
Hope you are all well! You received the first NewsFeed or Stars Shine for Everyone update 18 May. A while back. Time for an update.
You do receive this NewsFeed because … you donated a telescope, tripod-mount, binocular, … educational material for our cause; you supported us in one way or another, you sponsored, or you received a donation, … or maybe you are for us a potential supporter. Just spread the news, forward, share and … get in contact with us via the webpages.
We are about at the end of our telescope and education material donations for 2016. So far we have 11 out of 13 donated and allocated. The schools and institutes we donated telescopes and educational material:
Alderbrook Day Centre - Chinley, High Peak, Derbyshire UK
Ashgate Croft Special School - Chesterfield, Derbyshire UK
Royal School for the Deaf Derby (RSDD), Derbyshire UK
Action for Blind via Touching Space, Lancashire UK
Galloways Blind via Touching Space, Lancashire UK
Bracken Hill School Kirkby, Nottinghamshire UK
St Martins School, Derbyshire UK
St Clare's Special School, Mickleover, Derby UK
Summerlea Community Primary, West Sussex UK
Francis Baily Primary School, West Berkshire UK
Calaiswood School in Dunfermline, Scotland UK
Links are in the names.
A few more schools are lined-up and communications are happening while you read this NewsFeed. If you have suggestions, recommendations, connections … please let us know! We will continue our “list” for the coming years.
What each School and Institute received/will receive:
- 12 telescopes refractor Bresser 80/900 donated by Brresser Germany/UK. The telescopes are complete with telescope tube, viewfinder, zenith prism, two accompanying eyepieces, lunar map, software, laser pointer
- 3 home build mounts/tripods donated via Jean Pierre Grootaerd and Harrie Rutten. The 9 remaining mount/tripods we got at a reduced (material) cost
- 25 meteorites donated by Aerolite Europe via Nick Howes of which 13 iron Canyon diablos and 12 NWA 869 stone chondrites
- 12 books Nightscenes 2016 donated by Astrospace Publications via Paul Money
- 12 Online Astronomy Courses donated by Online Astronomy Society Academy via Alastair Leith
- 12 Sun Catchers and Solar Rainbow Makers donated by Rainbow Symphony
- 100 Solar Safety Glasses donated by John W ONeal II & fb SOLARACTIVITY Group
- 12 Moongazer's Wheel by Astronomers Without Borders via Mike Simmons
- 12 books Peterson First Guide to Astronomy by Jay M Pasachoff donated by Lisa White from Houghton Miffin Harcourt via Jay M Pasachoff
- 12 books The Christmas Planet by Dave Dooling (donated by Dave Dooling, New Mexico Space Museum) + electronic version of a screen play
- 12 books Welcome to Astronomy (donated by Kalmbach Publishing Company)
- 12 Different back issues, each 12 copies of the Griffith Observer (donated by Ed Krupp, Griffith Observatory)
- 12 Sky at Night 2016 Calendar and December 2015 back issue (donated by Sky at Night via Chris Bramley)
- 12 packs Twinkle Twinkle Super Bright Stars - The Ultimate Glow-in-the-Dark Stars - 49 Stars & 1 Moon donated by Daniela I Valdes along with Nestor Garcia Morales, Elena Espinoza and Aurora Barraza
- 12 Night Sky posters and 12 Planispheres donated by Astronomy Now via Laurie Young
- 12 Space:UK winter edition magazines, leaflets and 12 Tim Peake postcards donated by National Space Centre via Rebeca Leggat
- 12 PHILIP'S Month-by-Month Stargazing 2016 donated by Opticron via Rob Laughton
- 12 London Stereoscopic Company OWL Stereoscope and 12 Series 2 Astro OWL 3-D Stereo Cards donated by Dr. Brian May
- Digital versions of the books "Easy Things to See With a Small Telescope (A Beginner's Guide to Over 60 Easy-to-Find Night Sky Sights)" and "2016 The Night Sky Sights (A Guide to Over 100 Astronomical Events to See Without a Telescope)" donated by the author Richard J. Bartlett
- Hyperion 68 degrees Modular 13mm eyepiece, Celestron 2x Barlow, H20mm eyepiece, SR4mm eyepiece, Barlow lens 3x, Celestron collapsable binocular, Multi coated 25 mm eyepiece, Dark Sky Discovery leaflet, Kennedy Space Center leaflet, Mylar Solar Viewers, Grey filter donated by Wendy Clark
- 17 giant posters Anatomy of the Sun and 15 giant posters Studying the Sun, and 13 each received 3 booklet posters The Sun, Big Telescopes, Big Bang donated by Science & Technology Facilities Council
- 2 Calendars 2016 The art of Nature by PROBA-V
- 8x HCM Kinzel Planetarium Glow Solar System Mobile Making Kit, 2 HCM Kinzel Space Explorer room projector and 2 HCM Kinzel Glow Planets & 100 Nova Stars by Astroshop.co.uk c/o nimax GmbH
- 12 The ESA/ESO Exercise Series booklets Introduction, Toolkits, Exercise 1, 2, 3, and 4; and 12 Postcard each The Orion Nebula, Jupiter bruised, and The heart of the Milky Way donated by Spacetelescope Hubble Shop
- 100 CBSAP solar glasses and 26 CBSAP spectral gratings (via Mark Townley)
- 50 Daystar/Solar Sidewalk Astronomer solar glasses, 13 SDO leaflets, 13 CDROM Cosmic Collision NASA, 16 MMS Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission mock-ups, 13 Holographic SDO (dosen wavelenghts Sun), 1 book Fenomena Cetuson Matahari, 13 posters SDO from Pam Shivak and the Solaractivity Group
- From Lunt Solar: 24 UV color changing beads, 12 Holograms SDA w/12 wavelenghts, 12 MMS Magnetospheric Multiscale Mission, 12 Bookmarkers - UV detection beads experiment, 12 The Sun & Space Weather DVD, 12 Heliosphysics disc, 12 SDO posters - all via Jennifer Lunt
- 12 Upclose G2 10 x 50 binoculars donated by Celestron
- One year old Skywatcher Startravel 120mm telescope donated by Peter Cain
- Digital version of the book The Easy Guide to the Night Sky - a follow-up to Easy Things to See With a Small Telescope by Richard Bartlett donated by Richard Bartlett
- 12 books UK Solar Eclipses from 1-3000AD by Sheridan Williams and donated by Sheridan Williams (Sheridan will sent a copy to all Schools and Institutes who have been donated already)
-12 books The dark skies of the North Pennines by Graham Relf, donated by Sheridan Williams (Sheridan will sent a copy to all Schools and Institutes who have been donated already)
- 250 self-build Spectroscopes donated by Astronomy Without Borders via Mike Simmons
- One EQ2 Mount tripod provided at a reduced cost via Widescreen Centre - for Skywatcher 120 telescope
The total value of these donations is estimated to £15000.
Synopsys what we are about:
Telescopes for charity
Children with special educational needs and more vulnerable people should also be given the chance to look through a telescope and explore the Moon, the planets and the stars. Joanne & Patrick Poitevin took up the challenge to roll out the initiative for the United Kingdom. Schools for special educational needs and institutions for children with disabilities are donated a wonderful telescope, a binocular, and loads of education material through sponsorship.
Each school or institution who got this telescope will get the necessary support to use the telescope and all the material. For 2016 we had 13 telescopes, 12 binoculars and loads of educational material to donate. See below all details of donations.
Please get in touch:
- if you would like to donate a telescope or any educational material
- if you know a school or institute keen to have a telescope and educational material
- if you would like to donate some funds
Please do contact us via email email@example.com
Support or donate funding via our PayPal
The idea comes from Jean Pierre Grootaerd (Belgium) and Harrie Rutten (Netherlands) who started this initiative in Belgium and the Netherlands end 2015. With the support of Volkssterrenwacht Armand Pien, Universiteit Gent and KNVWS. See the webpages of the Belgian/Dutch/German initiators at
Thank you for your support!!! With your donation, you give children with disabilities or learning difficulties in a school or institute the opportunity to watch the Moon, the planets and the stars. The children and the schools have been overwhelmed and “over the Moon” with your donations!!!
Keep well and safe all time!
Joanne & Patrick Poitevin
Sponsors (so far):
Bresser Germany/UK; Kijkerbouw VSRUG; Volkssterrenwacht Armand Pien; Universiteit Gent; VVS; KNVWS; Artist group Lak@rt; ENGIE Electrabel; Aerolite Europe; Astrospace Publications; Online Astronomy Society Academy; Rainbow Symphony; Sky at Night; FB SOLARACTIVITY GROUP; Astronomers Without Borders; Houghton Miffin Harcourt; Kalmbach Publishing Company; Astronomy Now; Opticron; Daniela I Valdes & Team; National Space Centre; Dr Brian May; Richard J Bartlett; Science and Technology Facilities Council; Wendy Clark; PROBA-V; AstroshopUk/nimax; Spacetelescope Hubble Shop; CBSAP; Lunt Solar; Celestron; Peter Cain; Sheridan Williams; Widescreen Centre London;
Support (so far - alphabetical):
Aurora Barraza, Richard J Bartlett, Simon Bennett, Chris Bramley, Peter Cain, David Clapham, Wendy Clark, Trish Clements, Anthony Wallace Cross, Dave Dooling, David J Eicher, Elena Espinoza, Jasmin Evans, Nestor Garcia Morales, Nick Grey, Jean Pierre Grootaerd, Ian Howarth, Nick Howes, Ed Krupp, Rob Laughton, Rebeca Leggat, Alastair Leith, Jennifer Lunt, Mark Margolis, Dr Brian May, Paul Money, John W ONeal II, Jay M Pasachoff, Harrie Rutten, Mike Simmons, Pam Shivak, Nancy Scherlinck, Dominik Schwarz, STARMUS Festival 2016, Andy Thompson, Mark Townley, Daniela I Valdes, Laurie Young, Lisa White, Sheridan Williams, Chris Woodcock.
Donations (so far):
Louise Tirre, Anthony Wallace Cross, Alan Lewis, Cathy Battaloglu, Anonymous, Aleka Adami, Lee Worrallo, Anonymous, Vicky & Andy Bartlett, Liz Bice, Mark Naples, Marcel-Jan Krijgsman, Laurence A Le Gal, Tony Berry, Adam Harris, WI Tissington, Mike Simmons, Aleaxandra Agg; Beccy Smith; Tissington Well Dressing committee; Jana Conradi, Cielo Cantoni, Liz Berry, Nancy Allen; Simon Thompson;
We were pleased and proud that Starmus Festival 2016 was a supporter for our program Stars Shine for Everyone.
Stars shine for everyone had a stand in the VIP room and autographs were (unforced and out of free will) collected on posters to donate to school and institutes.
Speakers on the list were: Stephen Hawking; Brian May; Alexei Leonov; Neil deGrasse Tyson; Brian E. Cox; Martin Rees; Brian Schmidt; Chris Hadfield; Russell Schweickart; Kip Thorne; Adam Riess; Jill Tarter; Carol W Greider; David Gross; Eric Betzig; Neil Turok; Elizabeth Blackburn; Edvard Moser; Robert Wilson; May Britt Moser; Garrett Reisman; Michael Lopez-Alegria; Sergey Alexandrovich Volkov; Steven Balbus; Richard Dawkins; Joseph Stiglitz; Francois Englert; Robert Williams; Peter Schwartz; Danny Hillis; Chris Rapley; Eugene Kaspersky, Hans Zimmer; Sarah Brightman; Anathema; Rick Wakeman; Brian Eno; MC Hawking; David Zambuka; Orquesta Sinfónica de Tenerife; Anthony McCarten.
Rent a Scope
One of the telescope is available for those who organize astronomy outreaches, astronomy weekends and caps. A few colleagues and groups took the opportunity and it brought in some extra cash. So far we collected £90. A BIG Thank you!
Run for a Scope
Jo and I are running for Stars Shine for Everyone. End October we will run the 10 miles Great South Run. Donations goes to this charity. So far we collected £40. A BIG thank you!
The Tissington Well Dressing Committee donate Stars Shine for Everyone £250. A BIG thank you!
Please donate royal – go to our webpages at http://patrickpoitevin.weebly.com/stars-shine-for-everyone.html and use the PayPal link – or connect with us And we share you the bank contact details.